Do's and Don'ts of Safe Needle Disposal
- DO be aware of your state laws and regulations.
- DO use the proper container. The EPA guidelines recommend a personal sharps container, a puncture-resistant, non-see through, rigid plastic container like a laundry or bleach bottle or a taped sealed coffee can.
- DO put sharps in an appropriate container immediately after use.
- DO keep sharps away from children and pets.
- DO bring a sharps container with you when you travel.
- DO use a new needle every time you inject.
- DO clean the injection site with soapy water, alcohol swabs or rubbing alcohol.
- DO dispose of sharps containers at a disposal site in your state.
- DO NOT put sharps container in with recyclable.
- DO NOT dispose of sharps in the garbage if it is illegal in your state.
- DO NOT flush sharps down the toilet or drop into storm drains.
- DO NOT dispose of sharps in glass containers, paper or plastic bags, milk jugs or soda bottles or cans.